Sunday, February 10, 2013

Ok, so I think I will start off this by telling you all a bit about me:  I am 39 yrs old, live in Houston, work in the Medical Center, live with my sweetie, and albeit, love of my life, Christopher and have an absolute love of cooking.  How did it start?  I cannot really pinpoint the exact moment in my life that caused this spark: perhaps, it is the memories I have of my late father making his famous fish soup that only he & I loved or of his making BBQ almost every weekend or the occasional treat of his buñuelos, or the memory (very funny indeed) of his & my bro-in-law's attempt at making tamales (picture our kitchen covered from ceiling to floor in newspapers and completely covered in masa by the time they had finished! LOL).  Then again, perhaps it is the fact that my mom always cooked everything in LARD (omg, let's not go there).

My first memory is being around 8-9 & taking care of myself during the summer months, home alone, and making eggs and what not.  By the time I had reached the age of 16, I started experimenting and using oils because I had always seems to have some kind of stomach issues for as long as I can remember.  (Turns out I had been suffering with gallstones for years....even as a young child!)


Once I left home, at 25, I began to experiment more and more with food and cooking.  I do not have a fear of food so I will just about try anything which in turns sparks my curiosity and interest in cooking.  I have been told by many that I should open my own place, and perhaps one day I will, but for now I want to concentrate on my new family unit: my boyfriend & myself and of course my family.  I do not want to lose that love & passion I have for cooking and cooking for those I love.  Don't get me wrong, I would love to open my own place (I even have a concept that was extended through some suggestions by Chris) but maybe in like 10 yrs; but only time will tell.  


Plus I must brag that I met one of my idols:



TYLER FLORENCE

Yes, I nearly died and thankfully I follow him on Twitter or I would've never known he was going to be in Houston the next day!  Next goal is to meet my other idol Giada DeLaurentiis.  (I admire other chefs but that can wait for another day)

Today just may end up being a 2-part blog since it is Sunday, and I had great plans laid out for our meals today. 



This is Spicy Shrimp Noodle Soup

I found this recipe and decided, I would tweak it just a bit because we love our food with added flavor and punch so here it goes:

3 cups Beef Stock (I love Kitchen Basics)
1 cup water
1 Tbs Sambal Oelek (I found this in the international aisle at HEB next to the Sriracha)
2 Tbs minced garlic (approx 4 large garlic cloves)
2 tsp fish sauce
1-1/2 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
2 cinnamon sticks
1-8 oz bottle of clam juice
1 oz dried shittake mushroom caps, chopped (I found them at Central Market in the
         pasta aisle on the very top shelf above the sauces.
1 thich 1-1/2 inch piece of peeled fresh ginger root; cut in half
2 star anise
1 lb large shrimp, peeled & deveined
4 oz uncooked flat rice noodles

Toppings:
1/2 cup fresh bean sprouts
1/2 cup green onions, cut on the diagonal
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
12 Thai Basil (you can use regular Basil as well)
Lime wedges

Preparation:

Combine the first 11 ingredients in a large pot or Dutch oven.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat & simmer until reduced to 3-1/2 cups (about 12 min).  Add shrimp & cook about 4 min or until done.  Remove cinnamon, anise & ginger; discard.  Cook the rice noodles according to the package direction and drain.  Place 1/2 cup noodles in each of the 4 bowls, and top each serving with 1 cup stock mixture and about 5 shrimp.  Sprinkle with desired toppings.  I think the lime elevates the flavor to a whole other level!  **If you like it spicier, you may add Sriracha or more Sambal.


The good thing about this recipe is that is is low-cal also:


Calories: 287

Fat: 2.1g
Protein: 26.7g
Fiber: 4g

I am planning on roasting an entire Red Snapper for dinner (hence the 2-part post) that I will post on here later tonight.  Until then, Happy Eating!!

1 comment: