Monday, February 11, 2013

Chili Night

Ok, so I made a decision to post in my blog everyday whether it be about a dish cooked and to share the recipe and ideas or whether it is to write about my favorite places to shop, have coffee, pizza, etc...

So there really isn't anything too exciting about dinner tonight.  I made chili, point blank.  I will share with you my all-time fave chili mix from Carroll Shelby




This is by far the best store-bought chili mix I have ever had, and I've tried a lot; plus you can find it at HEB (which as a matter of fact, tends to sell out quick).


Yes, I know I take the easy route on my chili, BUT I need to do some intense planning and testing before I go creating my own recipe for it because I plan on making a trip to Penzeys Spices in the Heights.  I absolutely LOVE Penzeys because they carry ALL kinds of spices, and not just plain ordinary spices, but all kinds of mixed spices and exotic ones as well.  PLUS, they have wide array or variety of them such as different types of salts, all kinds of pepper, all kinds of chili, the list goes on an on.  


In our household, we love sweet cornbread with our chili and have found Martha White to be our favorite so far.  Seriously give it a try with the chili because it adds a whole other contrast to your meal.




Oh and before I forget, the beans:  I like the Central Market Organic Dark Red Kidney Beans




These are great if you're watching your calories and fat intake because they have -0- fat and are low in sodium as well plus taste great! (Don't even get me started on my love of Central Market!)


Oh and I just wanted to add a little something outside of the whole chili making process:




This looks funny, I know, but it WAS shaped like a heart before we tore into it.  This is a Fig Almond Goat Cheese from Whole Foods (another love of mine), and it is incredibly yummy, slightly sweet and with a crunch from the almonds.  If you're not a fan of goat cheese's tartness, you should head on over to Whole Foods, and give it a try on crackers because the tartness is almost absent in this.  Total Homerun!


I want to end my post today with a great tip: COFFEE!  I have fallen in love with  SPECTACULAR little coffee house in Montrose called INVERSION COFFEE HOUSE.  I woke up one day and realized I was tired of the weak coffee from that major chain and came across INVERSION shortly after moving back into Houston.  My main object of affection was the Cortado which was the best I had along my coffee tasting way through Montrose and the Heights.  My addiction lately is the Steamy Meg with is an 8oz latte with nutmeg and Cane Sugar Syrup; it is slightly sweet but still very intense and powerful.  Everyone is great there: Brianna is a sweetheart, Ryan is cool and the creator of the Honey Badger (a cortado with honey & cinnamon which is to die for as well) and then there is Stephen who is ultra friendly and very knowledgeable AND who gets quite creative with his drinks:



He made the "cat"puccino for a customer

Another favorite drink of mine is called the Albino Haze which is a white chocolate mocha hazelnut; it is totally killer iced.

My other coffee love is Boomtown Coffee in the Heights.  They have this incredibly caffeine charged drink called the Crüd or you can have the Crüdy Mocha but you MUST get a CRACKROCK added to your iced drink.  This CRACKROCK is a huge cube of iced coffee which as it melts into your drink makes it even stronger, better and keeps you going for hours.  Check 'em out; I'm the one that shocked them by ordering a Double Crüd with Double Crackrock and survived, lol!  Oh yeah, and they have a drink called a Thundertow which is literally like liquid Heroin, lol and is served to you layered in two shotglasses.  So if your ever in the Heights, head on over to 19th St and stop by Boomtown Coffee; and btw, Penzeys is on the same street a few blocks up so make a day of it.

Happy Eating!!

1 comment:

  1. We should get together for coffee sometime...those places sound great!

    ReplyDelete