Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Dang that Meringue

Here's wishing everyone a very awesome Valentine's Day tomorrow!  So today's adventure finds me trying to come up with a great Valentine's Day treat for my office; the end result are Meringue Kisses.  I actually have had great success in the past making meringues since my honey bought me the most awesomest Valentine's Day gift ever last year:


KITCHENAID Stand Mixer

Funny the things that make me the happiest! Even funnier is the fact that he didn't have a clue that this was something I had been wanting for like 15yrs and had continuously on my Christmas list, lol...lo and behold, he happened to get it for me and in the color I wanted too!! (He is sooo awesome!)  My KitchenAid has been my best friend for the past year; my pastries, breads, cookies, meringues, frostings and whipped creams have all been completely magnificent using it.  You should DEFINITELY look into getting one if you're serious about baking.

So before I get to the recipe, here are some things you will need:

Baking sheets lined with parchment paper (cookies won't stick)

Piping bag with tips

If you don't have a piping bag with tips, I found mine at Sur la Table; this place is another gem of mine.  It is similar to Williams Sonoma, but I like it even better; they have great products at a great price.  Now if you don't have the bag or can't find these, just take a zip lock bag, snip the tip & slip a decorating tip down into the snipped corner.


This is another secret of mine.  Egg whites will only whip up into stiff peaks if they are out at room temperature; in time crunches, this product works wonders!  I can't believe I actually found it at HEB.  It has the measurements you will need on the bag for your necessary egg whites. *****for the recipe below, I used 4 Tbs Egg White Powder & 12 Tbs water*****

Ingredients:

2/3 cup sifted powdered sugar
4 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
2 Tbs cornstarch
6 egg whites (see above for the egg white powder substitution)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup granulated sugar
4 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 tsp shortening

Line your cookies sheets (as shown above) with parchment paper & set aside.  In a small bowl, stir together powdered sugar, cocoa powder & cornstarch; set aside.

I sifted each item for a smoother batter

Using your stand mixer, beat egg whites (or egg white powder & water) & vanilla with on high speed until foamy.  Gradually add the granulated sugar, 1 Tbs at a time, beating until stiff peak form.


Tip should stand straight

Gradually fold in the cocoa mixture:

Have some patience with folding slowly, don't beat or stir because you will cause the egg whites to break.

Fully folded in now

You will need to prep your piping bag and fold the top part downwards in order to have room to fill your bag with the mixture:


Fill your piping bag starting at the bottom and working it down toward the tip, unfolding your bag straight until almost full but not completely full.



Now, I piped 1" kisses onto the baking sheet (you can make them bigger at 2" each)  


Bake in 250 degree oven for 1 hr.  Cool on the cookie sheet.  Remove from the parchment paper.

This recipe yielded me 104 cookies based on the size I piped the batter out.

Light, airy & crispy

In a small saucepan,  combine the chopped chocolate & shortening; cook & stir over low heat until chocolate has melted.  Drizzle over the cookies:

 

If your curious about whether you should have a cookie or a friend questions, at this 1" size:

Calories         15
Fat                   0.4 g
Cholesterol    0
Sodium           4.0 mg
Carbs               2.6 g
Sugar               2.3 g
Protein            0.3 g

This info is for EACH cookie; granted if you make them larger, the numbers of course will be different.  I know an office that is going to be quite happy; well, make that two because there are so many I will take some down to our leasing office here at the loft.

I hope that you enjoy this cookies and anyone else you may share them with.

And as I end this blog, let me leave you with some of my faves:

Fluff Bake Bar has super awesome French Macarons (which consist of meringues as well in a way).  You can find her products being stocked at Revival Market in the Heights on Heights Blvd; this happens to be one of my other little favorite markets because everything they sell is grown and raised locally from dairy to produce to fruits and even meats.  Her products are also stocked at Eatsie Boys on Montrose which happens to be one of my favorite little eateries.  Matt & Ryan had a food truck and now have their wonderful little cafe and have fantastic brunches on the weekend.  If you're ever in the area, tell 'em Marci sent ya!

There is also Rustika Cafe on the SW Fwy between Edloe & Buffalo Speedway; they have great Angel Kisses (meringues) in 2 sizes.  Check 'em out if you're in that area.

And finally, there is Petite Sweets on Alabama close to Kirby, and they make exactly that, petite sweets.  They have tiny French Macarons that are just to die for!  So if you're in that area, check 'em out too; and btw, Whole Foods is just up the block.

Until next time folks, Happy Eating!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment