Friday, October 9, 2015

So I've been MIA from my blog for a while now, but not because I purposely was neglecting it, but merely because I had been dealing with some crazy health issues.  I found out I have practically no iron or Vit D in my system and have been taking huge doses of prescription vitamins to see I feel better; I have had like zero energy for anything and have been having trouble concentrating and thinking. Thankfully, I think the vitamins are starting to get into my system after 3 mos, so here I am bringing you another tasty dish.

Tomorrow is my boyfriend's father's birthday, and I will be meeting him for the first time.  Ya know, I still can't believe it has been nearly a year since we first started going out; it still boggles my mind that we are where are now.  Funny how when you're definitely NOT looking for a relationship, and the person you've always been in search of was practically in front of you the entire time!  

Since it is a birthday, naturally I wanted to make a birthday cake; however, Cesar says his dad actually prefers pies over cakes just like him.  He also said that his dad is very simple and really likes apple pie so why not.   I thought it was great because I haven't really baked any pies in years and am pretty good at it.  

Important facts about pie pastry:

1.  Cold butter blended with flour will, during baking, melt & leave behind pockets of air that separate layers of the pastry and create a flaky crust.

2.  Do NOT overwork your dough; the more you stir and handle, the more gluten will develop and toughen your pastry.

3.  Do not add water all at once, use minimum amounts to moisten the flour or your pastry can get soggy.

4.  If doing a double pie crust, such as this one, always cut slits in the top to allow steam to escape or you will also end up with a soggy mess.

Ingredients for crust:

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter, cut into small cubes
6-7 Tbs ice water

Ingredients for the filling:

6 cups of peeled, cored & sliced apples
1 Tbs lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 Tbs all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 Tbs finely chopped crystallized ginger
2 Tbs butter
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
2 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon


Preparation:


In a large bowl, mix flour and salt.   With a pastry blender (or 2 knives), cut in shortening and butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs or small peas.



Sprinkle in 6-7 Tbs ice water, one Tbs at a time.  Mix with a fork after each spoon until your dough is moist enough to hold together.  Shape into 2 balls, one slightly bigger than the other.  Wrap and refrigerate 30 min.


On a lightly floured surface, with a floured rolling pin, roll larger ball 2-inches larger all around than inverted 9-inch pie plate.  Roll dough round gently onto your rolling pin, and gently ease into pie plate.  Trim the edge, leaving 1-inch over hang; set aside.


Combine apples and lemon juice in a large bowl.  Combine 1/2 cup sugar and next 5 ingredients, and mix well.  


Spoon over the apple mixture, and toss gently.  


Spoon filling evenly into the pie shell, and dot with butter.



Roll small ball of dough into 10-inch round.  Cut several slashes; center over the filling.  Trim the edge, leaving 1-inch over hang; fold under and crimp edges.  Brush pastry lightly with beaten egg yolk.  Combine 2 tsp sugar and 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon, and sprinkle all over the pie.

Cover edges of pasty with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning.


Bake at 450 for 15 min; reduce heat to 350, and bake 50 more min.


Tomorrow this bad boy gets cut and served; however from the small amount of sauce that dripped onto the baking sheet, it tastes divine.....oh and my apartment smells amazing!

Until next time, Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment