Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thanksgiving Goodies

Oh how I have neglected you blog, but I am back and with a vengeance.  With Thanksgiving festivities upon us and once again spending it with Chris' maternal side of the family, I find myself wanting to make something different than years prior.  Unbeknownst to me, I was apparently bringing a pumpkin pie; I am not crazy about pumpkin pie so I would not make it, and we ended up buying a really nice one from HEB (LOL).  

I had just received my two latest issues of Taste of Home and Cooking Light and had my eyes on some of the holiday pies shown.  Much to my amusement, Chris' stepdad, Mark, was all up for me making a chocolatey pie so Gingered Almond Truffle Tart it is!

I did not tweak anything in this recipe and made as is.  If there's something I feel could have been done differently or flavors that would have enhanced the tart, then I will tweak and update this post.  

You will need a 9-inch fluted tart pan; I bought mine from Sur la Table; however, mine is a 9.5 inch which is not a tremendous issue.  I think it works out better so your filling is not overflowing and leaves a nice, clean edge to your slices.  Another item that you will need is a food processor.

Ingredients:

1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 Tbs minced fresh ginger root
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/3 cup baking cocoa
6 Tbs cold butter, cubed
1/2 cup amaretto, divided
8 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup butter, softened




Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a small heavy saucepan, heat cream and ginger until bubbles form around sides.  Remove from heat.

Place flour, almonds, confectioners' sugar and cocoa in a food processor; pulse until blended.  


Add cold butter; pulse until butter is the size of peas.  


While pulsing, add 1/4 cup of amaretto to form moist crumbs.  


Press onto bottom and up sides of an ungreased 9-in fluted tart pan with removable bottom.  


Bake 13-16 min or until set.  Cool on a wire rack.


Place chocolate in a small bowl.  


Bring gingered cream just to a boil.  Strain through a fine-mesh strainer over chocolate; discard ginger.  Stir chocolate mixture with a whisk until smooth; stir in softened butter and remaining amaretto until blended.  


Pour into cooled crust.  Refrigerate, covered, at least 2 hours or until set.


This size tart pan was perfect leaving about 1/2 inch space for the crust/edge.

Due to the richness of this dish, thin slices are highly recommended yielding 16 servings per tart.

Recipe from Taste of Home Dec 2013 issue.


Chilled end result.

Tomorrow morning, I am tackling Cheddar Chive Biscuits before we head out so they can be slightly warm.

Until next time, Happy Eating!


1 comment:

  1. OMG, this was so delicious!!! And get back to blogging, girl, I just gave you a major award!!!

    http://thereinventionofjessica.blogspot.com/2014/01/sunshine-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete