Sunday, April 7, 2013

Raspberry-Filled Lemon Cupcakes

Oh Sunday, funday, what to do??  First go to Eastie Boys to get the Creme Brulee French Toast & Chicken Poblano Sausage for breakfast AND Inversion Coffee House for my daily Steamy Meg.  

I had been reading over a book I had received from my good friend, Tammy, when I left the hospital, called Betty Crocker Best Cupcakes & Cakes.  I was getting all sorts of ideas running through my head yesterday; even Priscilla was drooling over a recipe for Tie-Dye cupcakes when she was over visiting last night.  

So today I decided to make some cupcakes & take them to work.  I will share the original recipe first then my version.

Raspberry-Filled Lemon Cupcakes

Cupcakes:
1 box Betty Crocker SuperMoist French Vanilla cake mix
Water, vegetable oil & eggs called for on the box
2 Tbs grated lemon peel (2 medium lemons)

Filling & Frosting:
1 container (6oz) fresh raspberries (1 - 1-1/4 cups)
2 containers (12 oz each) Betty Crocker Whipped Fluffy White frosting
2 Tbs grated lemon peel (2 medium lemons)
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
Grated lemon peel strips

Preparation:

1.  Heat oven to 350 degrees (325 for dark or nonstick pans).  Place paper baking cups in each of the 24 regular-size muffin cups.  Make and bake cake mix as directed on the box for cupcakes, using water, oil & eggs and adding 2 Tbs lemon peel.  Cool 10 min.  Remove to cooling racks.  Cool completely.

2.  Reserve 24 raspberries for garnish, set aside.  In a small bowl, beat remaining raspberries, 1 cup of frosting and 2 Tbs lemon peel with a whisk until well blended.  Fit 1/4" diameter round tip into decorating bag.  Spoon raspberry mixture into bag.  Insert tip into center of each cupcake, about 2/3 of the way down; gently squeeze bag, pulling upwards until cupcake swells slightly and filling comes to top.  (Do not let filling spill out over the top of cupcake.)

3.  In a small bowl, mix remaining frosting & the lemon juice until smooth & shiny.  Pipe or spread frosting onto cupcakes.  Garnish each with fresh raspberry and lemon peel strips.

My Version:

Cupcakes:
1 box Duncan Hines Lemon Supreme cake mix
1 box Jell-O Sugar Free Instant Lemon Pudding mix
1-1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Filling & Frosting:
1 container (6oz) fresh raspberries (1 - 1-1/4 cups)
2 containers Duncan Hines Classic White frosting
2 Tbs grated lemon peel (2 medium lemons)
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice

Preparation:
1.  Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Place paper baking cups in each of the 24 regular-size muffin cups. (if you only have a 12-cup like I do, cover your bowl and refrigerate until you're ready to do the next batch.)  Make and bake cake mix as directed on the box for cupcakes, using milk, oil, pudding mix, vanilla & eggs.  Cool 10 min.  Remove to cooling racks.  Cool completely.



2.  Reserve 24 raspberries for garnish, set aside. 



In a small bowl, beat remaining raspberries, 1 cup of frosting, 2 Tbs lemon peel (my lemons were small so I needed 3) and lemon juice with a whisk until well blended.  Fit 1/4" diameter round tip into decorating bag. 



Spoon raspberry mixture into bag.  Insert tip into center of each cupcake, about 2/3 of the way down; gently squeeze bag, pulling upwards until cupcake swells slightly and filling comes to top.  (If some of the filling spills out, remove with a spatula.)



3.  Fit a star shaped tip into a decorating bag and fill with frosting (I did nothing to the frosting except beat it a bit).  Starting from outside edge of cupcake and working towards center in a circular motion, pipe icing onto cupcake.  Top with a raspberry.






Now I opted for the Lemon Supreme mix because I did not readily locate the French Vanilla; since I was already going for a lemon-based mix, I decided to change some things with the filling and icing.  Stephanie, in our leasing office here at the lofts, said it reminded her of Fruit Loops but in a much better way; she said she loved it.  I decided to try one out also and was pleased with the results and the flavors.  Now, the box says it makes 24, I only came out with 21; I used an ice cream scoop to measure so maybe this is what happened.  

Here's a tip:  if you, like me, do not fill all cupcake slots and are left with some empty cups, fill those spots with water about 2/3 of the way up; this will ensure each of your cupcakes bakes evenly and perfectly.

Hope you enjoy this recipe, whether it be the original or my version.  I am sure they will be at hit at your home or office as well.  Now time for me to put a lid on them for tomorrow.

Until next time, Happy Eating!

1 comment: