Friday, March 22, 2013

Who Says You Can't Have Chocolate Cake For Breakfast?!?!?!

Happy Friday to everyone!  I made another rich chocolate dessert for the office today (it's an early Easter treat).  Again, I am home bored while Chris is still out working in El Paso so what better way to occupy myself and de-stress than bake for someone?!?!

I had viewed lots and lots of sites regarding an Easter cake with Kit Kats, so many variations and ideas so I decided to do one myself.

Ingredients:

1 box Duncan Hines Devils Food Cake Mix
1/3 c. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 Tbs vanilla extract
1 small pkg Jell-o Devil's Food Instant Pudding mix
1 Duncan Hines Classic Chocolate Frosting
4 King Size Kit Kat Bars
1 lg bag plain M&M (I used Easter ones)

Preparation:

Prepare cake mix according to package with these exceptions:  I use extra virgin olive oil instead of the vegetable oil; I use milk instead of the water (and in the case I did a 50/50 of milk & heavy cream); I add vanilla extract to boxed cakes to give it that little something extra; AND I always add instant pudding to the mix to make for a much more moister cake! (So there you have it, those are my secrets for those who've asked).  

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray 2-8' cake pans and distribute batter evenly.  Drop pans several times on the counter to let all the air bubbles out and to allow the batter to even out. Now, let me inform you the box says to bake for approx 30 min; however because of my changes to the mix, I find that it can take anywhere fro 40-45 min.  I suggest baking for 35 min, take a toothpick to check for doneness and bake at 5 min increments after that.

Let cakes cool completely before assembling.

My original idea was to get Easter grass to lay down on the platter first, but I forgot at the last minute (this I will do when I make the cake for the family next week).  Frost cakes evenly (if your cakes are slightly uneven, trim off tops to even out).  Once your cake is assembled, break your Kit Kats in pairs.  Place flat side up against sides of cake leaving a slight gap in between each pair and press slightly.  Top off cake with the M&Ms to cover frosting completely and spread remaining M&Ms around the cake on the platter.







So I think the cake was a success because it is being eaten for breakfast, LOL; great start to a Friday morning.  I will be making another similar cake for the family Easter get-together; however, that cake will be a yellow butter cake with chocolate frosting.  This is such an easy cake that I hope you will give it a whirl.

Until next time, Happy Eating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment